Title: Plant Transformation and Regeneration Specialist
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Reports to: Research Director
Status: Full Time
Leading the market with Arctic® branded fruit products that consistently deliver exceptional eating experience to consumers through transparent stakeholder outreach, communication and innovative science.
The Plant Transformation and Regeneration Specialist is highly motivated and multi-disciplined with exceptional tissue culture / transformations skills. The Plant Transformation and Regeneration Specialist is responsible for development and execution of tissue culture and transformation experiments leading to the creation of novel traits in plants. This includes development, optimization and execution of protocols for aspects of tissue culture, including initiation, propagation, regeneration, selection and transformation. This work may also entail aspects of molecular biology for the identification and characterization of genetic changes arising from the transformation procedure. Reporting directly to the Research Director, this position will direct and execute independent projects within the Research and Development Team and will work closely with Micropropagation Specialist and other research staff to drive projects forward to positive conclusions in a streamlined fashion. The Specialist will also work closely with the Laboratory Manager or other OSF employees assigned such authority, who will coordinate all resources required for project success.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Be a key member of the research team supporting OSF’s new product development goals by:
- Conducting meaningful literature searches on related protocols
- Optimizing and preparing media for stock maintenance and successful shoot regeneration
- The development/modification of transformation protocols for creation of transgenic events
- Adhering to optimized transformation protocols in the creation of transgenic events
- Performing routine molecular biology techniques (nucleic acid extraction, PCR, enzymatic assay, etc.) in screening events of interest
- Capturing and reporting experimental data in an accurate and timely manner
- Maintaining a laboratory notebook according to industry guidelines
- Contributing to weekly laboratory activity update meetings
- Assisting in maintaining a clean and functional work environment
- Understanding the principles underlying tissue culture and other laboratory protocols and actively contribute to their improvement
- Performing other duties as assigned by supervisor
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- MSc in Plant Science or related discipline, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least two (2) years of experience with transformation and cultivation of plant species. Work on tree fruits would be beneficial.
- Demonstrated practical experience in aseptic technique, plant tissue culture, plant transformation, media formulation, and molecular biology as applied to the study of plants, especially genotyping of plants.
- Familiarity with microscopy techniques, including visual marker usage would be an asset.
- Preference for individual with experience in a commercial biotechnology laboratory.
SPECIAL SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Positive attitude.
- Ability to understand and execute on the company’s mission and values.
- Ability to perform in an independent work environment as well as in team settings.
- Understanding of scientific units of measurement and able to make appropriate conversions.
- High degree of ethical standard and trustworthiness.
- Ability to follow established lab safety protocols, both written and verbal.
- Willingness to learn additional information/skills outside of the scope of the position via in-house or external training.
- Capacity to think and adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to reach rational conclusions through complex processing of information.
- Capability to foster innovation through creative solutions.
- Ability to communicate in both oral and written forms.
- Ability to be organized and communicate clearly through technology (i.e. Outlook, PowerPoint, and other programs used to create and distribute reports and key information).
- Capacity for effective organization and implementation of group projects.
- Up-to-date knowledge on industry current events.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to be energized by accomplishments and excellence in the workplace.
- Capability to lift and carry 35 lbs.
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Position will remain open until suitable candidate is found.