Leading the market with Arctic® branded fruit products that consistently deliver exceptional eating experience to consumers through transparent stakeholder outreach, communication, and innovative science.
Position: Accounting Assistant
Reports to: Director of Finance, Accounting and Administration
Okanagan Specialty Fruits Inc. (OSF) is a dynamic agriculture biotechnology company based in Summerland, BC, Canada that specializes in the development and market introduction of novel tree fruit varieties. The Accountant is responsible for the company’s financial plans and policies, it’s accounting practices, the conduct of its relationships with lending institutions and the financial community, the maintenance of its fiscal records, and the preparation of financial reports including monthly bank reconciliations. This position involves supervision over general accounting, property accounting, internal auditing, cost accounting, and budgetary controls. This position is responsible for supporting the OSF spectrum of operations to support OSF’s constantly expanding range of activities, including the commercialization of our nonbrowning Arctic® apple varieties in the US and Canada.
This is a salaried, full-time position with highly competitive pay including 100% employer paid extended health and dental benefits plus RRSP matching program.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field required.
- CGA designation preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in financial management.
- Experience in accounting an asset.
- Excellent computer skills.
- General understanding of computerized accounting systems.
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Word, Quick-books and Excel.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy while working under tight deadlines.
- Assertive, comfortable communicating with various types of individuals.
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Billing experience is an asset.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Able to build and maintain lasting relationships with corporate departments and key business partners.
- Ability to follow through and complete overlapping projects.
- Must possess a high level of moral judgment for handling confidential information and monetary transactions.
- Strong problem identification and problem resolution skills.
- High level of critical and logical thinking, analysis, and/or reasoning to identify underlying principles, reasons, or facts.
- Ability to interpret and implement company policies and procedures.
- Advanced organizational, time management and prioritizing skills.
- Effective communication skills with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Oversee the Maintenance of books of account (including but not limited to preparing checks, coding and posting invoices, preparing deposits, journal entries, reconciliations, petty cash).
- Oversee issuing of checks / payment of invoices.
- Prepare monthly / quarterly financial statements for project staff, Executive Director and Board of Directors.
- Liaise with project staff and support them in book-keeping needs related to their program areas.
- Oversee accounts receivable.
- Complete all payroll functions.
- Maintain investment schedules, oversee cash flow requirements, and communications with bankers on investments.
- Maintain accounts and relations with bankers.
- Oversee internal system of handling funds.
- Maintain year-end working papers and spreadsheets and assist with preparation for any audits or independent reviews with support from the Executive Director and treasurer.
- Complete monthly reconciliation for all accounts (bank and brokerage accounts).
- Exert care and control over assets and records and establish procedures for safeguarding, including security and computer backup (copy virus checked and stored off-site).
- Assist in maintaining policy and procedure documentation for complex financial and accounting issues.
- Provide technical support (including software updates, troubleshooting and back-ups).
- Maintain current knowledge of regulatory changes and impacts on the organization’s books of account.
- Maintain an accurate and complete trail of supporting documentation for all financial and bookkeeping activities.
- Maintain up-to-date, complete and systematic filing system to support book-keeping and financial records.
- Provide forensic accounting services as necessary.
- Development, analysis, and interpretation of statistical and accounting information in order to appraise operating results in terms of profitability, performance against budget, and other matters bearing on the fiscal soundness and operating effectiveness of the organization.
- Responsible for evaluating the performance of personnel in the Accounting Department. This individual recommends training requirements, has the duty to keep the staff at the highest level of skill necessary to meet company needs and objectives, and may recommend that personnel be hired or removed from the Department.
- Establishes major economic objectives and policies for the company and prepares reports that outline the company’s financial position in the areas of income, expenses, and earnings based on past, present, and future operations.
- Coordinates and directs the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts, institutes and maintains other planning and control procedures (including the cost accounting system) and analyzes and reports variances.
- Is responsible for tax planning and compliance with Federal, Provincial and local corporate, payroll, and other applicable taxes.
- Furnishes internal reports, revises and updates reports to be more useful and efficient and furnishes external reports as necessary.
- Determines depreciation rates to apply to capitalized items and advises management on desirable operational adjustments due to tax revisions.
- Evaluates and recommends insurance coverage for protection against property losses and potential liabilities.
- Has the final responsibility for providing effective financial controls for the organization.
- Other duties as directed by supervisor.
Please send cover letter and resume to [email protected] Applications will be accepted until suitable candidate is found.