Okanagan Specialty Fruits Inc. is seeking a motivated Transformation and Regeneration Technician to join our Transformation and Cultivar Development Group in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
Under the direct supervision of the Laboratory Manager and in coordination with other technicians, the successful candidate will be primarily involved in the development and optimization of transformation and regeneration protocols. These protocols will be used in the creation of transgenic lines of both currently used and future tree fruit varieties. The candidate will also work in conjunction with other laboratory staff and research scientists to drive projects forward to positive conclusions in a streamlined fashion.
Deadline for applications is March 30, 2018. Please direct cover letter and resume to [email protected].
Title: Plant Transformation and Regeneration Technician
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Reports to: Laboratory Manager
Status: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with industry standards & experience
MISSION STATEMENT: Develop a vertically integrated Arctic® business that maximizes value capture from concept to consumer, while establishing a produce brand from which we can leverage our know‐how to develop and commercialize additional Arctic® produce.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct meaningful literature searches on related protocols.
- Optimize and prepare media for stock maintenance and successful shoot regeneration.
- Development/modification of transformation protocols for creation of transgenic events.
- Adhere to optimized transformation protocols in the creation of transgenic events.
- Perform routine molecular biology techniques (nucleic acid extraction, PCR, enzymatic assay, etc.) in screening events of interest.
- Capture and report experimental data in an accurate and timely manner.
- Maintain a laboratory notebook according to industry guidelines.
- Contribute to weekly laboratory activity update meetings.
- Assist in maintaining a clean and functional work environment.
- Understand the principles underlying tissue culture and other laboratory protocols and actively contribute to their improvement.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- MSc in Plant Science or related discipline, or equivalent combination of education and experience, is required.
- At least two (2) years of experience with transformation and cultivation of plant species. Work on tree fruits would be beneficial.
- Demonstrated practical experience in aseptic technique, plant tissue culture, plant transformation,
- media formulation, and molecular biology as applied to the study of plants, especially genotyping of plants.
- Familiarity with microscopy techniques, including visual marker usage would be an asset.
- Preference for individual with experience in a commercial biotechnology laboratory.
DESIRED KEY COMPETENCIES
- Ability to understand and execute on the company’s mission and values.
- Positive attitude.
- Ability to perform in an independent work environment as well as in team settings.
- Understanding of scientific units of measurement and able to make appropriate conversions.
- High degree of ethical standard and trustworthiness.
- Ability to follow established lab safety protocols, both written and verbal.
- Willingness to learn additional information/skills outside of the scope of the position via in‐house or external training.
- Capacity to think and adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to reach rational conclusions through complex processing of information.
- Capability to foster innovation through creative solutions.
- Ability to communicate in both oral and written forms.
- Ability to be organized and communicate clearly through technology (i.e. Outlook, PowerPoint, and other programs used to create and distribute reports and key information).
- Capacity for effective organization and implementation of group projects.
- Up‐to‐date knowledge on industry current events.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to be energized by accomplishments and excellence in the workplace.
- Capability to lift and carry 35 lbs.
- Ability to work in hot, humid environments.
Frequent: Speaking; hearing; sitting; use of hands/fingers; handling or feeling objects, tools or controls; close vision; color vision; peripheral vision; ability to adjust focus
Occasional: Standing; walking indoors; reaching with hands and arms; stooping; kneeling; crouching; lifting and/or moving up to 10 lbs
General: Moderate noise level, similar to typical office environment with computers, printers and light traffic