Okanagan Specialty Fruits Inc. (www.okspecialtyfruits.com) is a dynamic agriculture biotechnology company headquartered in Summerland, BC, Canada, that specializes in the development and market introduction of novel tree fruit varieties. In 2016, the company opened a fully-equipped Laboratory in Saskatoon, SK, Canada, for its ever-expanding Science Team. And once again, the lab is growing with the addition of three new full time positions!
Okanagan Specialty Fruits Inc. is seeking a motivated Plant Tissue Culture Technician to join our Transformation and Cultivation Group in our Laboratory, located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
Under the direct supervision of the Laboratory Manager & working alongside other technicians, the successful candidate will be primarily involved in the maintenance of tissue culture stocks and developed transgenic events. The successful proponent will also work in conjunction with other laboratory staff and research scientists to drive projects forward to positive conclusions in a streamlined fashion.
Position: Plant Tissue Culture Technician (Entry-Level)
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Salary: Commensurate with industry standards & experience
Reports to: Laboratory Manager
Education & Qualifications:
- BSc in Plant Science or related discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Practical experience in aseptic technique, plant tissue culture, plant transformation, and molecular biology as applied to the study of plants, especially genotyping of plants.
- Theoretical experience in plant transformation and molecular biology as applied to the study of plants, especially genotyping of plants
- Experience working in a commercial biotechnology laboratory preferred.
Desired Skills & Attributes:
- Able to understand and execute on the company’s mission and values.
- Demonstrates a consistently positive attitude.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Understands scientific units of measurement and is able to make appropriate conversions.
- Maintains a high degree of ethical standards and trustworthiness.
- Able to follow established lab safety protocols, both written and verbal.
- Willing to learn additional information/skills outside of the scope of the position through various training mechanisms.
- Able to function and adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Able to reach rational conclusions through complex processing of information.
- Fosters innovation through creative solutions.
- Communicates effectively both verbally, and in writing.
- Ability to be organized and communicate clearly through technology (i.e. Outlook, PowerPoint, and other software programs used to create and distribute reports and key information).
- Effectively organizes and implements group projects.
- Maintains current knowledge of industry developments and events.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to be energized by accomplishments and excellence in the workplace.
- Physically capable of lifting and carrying loads weighing up to 35 lbs.
- Able to manage sustained periods of work within hot, humid environments.
- Prepare media following established recipes
- Maintenance of tissue culture stocks and repositories under growth cabinet conditions
- Upkeep of potential transgenic events produced via transformations
- Sampling of tissue specimens for molecular screening of potential transgenic events
- Multiplication of confirmed transgenic events for micro‐grafting
- Adhere to optimized transformation protocols in the creation of transgenic events
- Perform routine molecular biology techniques (nucleic acid extraction, PCR, enzymatic assay, etc.) in screening events of interest
- Capture and report experimental data in an accurate and timely manner
- Maintain of a laboratory notebook according to industry guidelines
- Contribute to weekly update meetings
- Assist in maintaining a clean and functional work environment
- Understand the principles underlying tissue culture and other laboratory protocols and actively contribute to their improvement
- Perform additional duties as assigned by supervisor
Please direct all resumes, cover letters and questions to:
Jeremy Johnson, Laboratory Manager [email protected]
Closing Date: Friday, November 24, 2017