And you thought we only grew apples!
Okanagan Specialty Fruits Inc. (www.okspecialtyfruits.com) is a dynamic agriculture biotechnology company headquartered in Summerland, BC, Canada, that specializes in the development and market introduction of novel tree fruit varieties. In 2016, the company opened a fully-equipped Laboratory in Saskatoon, SK, Canada, for its ever-expanding Science Team. And once again, the lab is growing with the addition of three new full time positions!
Okanagan Specialty Fruits Inc. is seeking a motivated Transformation and Regeneration Technician to join our Transformation and Cultivar Development Group in our Laboratory, located in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
In coordination with several additional Technicians who are also based in the company’s Saskatoon Lab, the successful candidate’s primary focus will be the development and optimization of transformation and regeneration protocols. These protocols will be used in the creation of transgenic lines for both current, and future tree fruit varieties alike. Additionally, the Technician will work in conjunction with other laboratory staff and our research scientists to drive projects forward to positive outcomes in a streamlined fashion.
Position: Plant Transformation & Regeneration Technician
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Salary: Commensurate with industry standards & experience
Reports to: Laboratory Manager
Minimum 2 years relevant work experience in addition to the following qualifications
Education & Qualifications:
- MSc in Plant Science or related discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- A minimum of two (2) years experience with transformation and cultivation of plant species. Work on tree fruits is beneficial.
- Demonstrated practical experience in aseptic technique, plant tissue culture, plant transformation, media formulation, and molecular biology as applied to the study of plants, especially genotyping of plants.
- Familiarity with microscopy techniques, including visual marker usage an asset.
- Experience working in a commercial biotechnology laboratory preferred.
Desired Skills & Attributes:
- Able to understand and execute on the company’s mission and values.
- Demonstrates a consistently positive attitude.
- Able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Understands scientific units of measurement and is able to make appropriate conversions.
- Maintains a high degree of ethical standards and trustworthiness.
- Able to follow established lab safety protocols, both written and verbal.
- Willing to learn additional information/skills outside of the scope of the position through various training mechanisms.
- Able to function and adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Able to reach rational conclusions through complex processing of information.
- Fosters innovation through creative solutions.
- Communicates effectively both verbally, and in writing.
- Ability to be organized and communicate clearly through technology (i.e. Outlook, PowerPoint, and other software programs used to create and distribute reports and key information).
- Effectively organizes and implements group projects.
- Maintains current knowledge of industry developments and events.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to be energized by accomplishments and excellence in the workplace.
- Physically capable of lifting and carrying loads weighing up to 35 lbs.
- Able to manage sustained periods of work within hot, humid environments.
- Conduct meaningful literature searches on related protocols
- Optimize and prepare media for stock maintenance and successful shoot regeneration
- Development/modification of transformation protocols for creation of transgenic events
- Adhere to optimized transformation protocols in the creation of transgenic events
- Perform routine molecular biology techniques (nucleic acid extraction, PCR, enzymatic assay, etc.) in screening events of interest
- Capture and report experimental data in an accurate and timely manner
- Maintain a laboratory notebook according to industry guidelines
- Contribute to weekly laboratory activity update meetings
- Assist in maintaining a clean and functional work environment
- Understand the principles underlying tissue culture and other laboratory protocols and actively contribute to their improvement
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
Please direct all resumes, cover letters and questions to:
Jeremy Johnson, Laboratory Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: Friday, November 24, 2017